Do you ever feel bogged down? Not by anything external, but by what goes on inside your head? I know I do. Regrets and hurts sap my strength. Worries and frustrations drain away my joy.
Lately I’ve been figuring out a cool way to get back on track every day, so that I can go forward refreshed and energized: I’ve been learning to pray GRACE.
For example, in the morning I might pray something like this:
Thank You Father, for life that is in me and in the world around me. Thank You for air to breathe, a beating heart, five senses and four limbs. Thank You for the past, present, and future. Thank You for You: Your goodness, Your commitment to be with me and within me, Your love and care. Thank You for the particular situations that are on my mind, that You work all things to good, that You understand and will lead me in the right way to look at things, and how best to proceed.
Father, I know I have been carrying around all kinds of baggage, and right now I just want to leave everything right here at Your feet. I release
- my self-reliance: those times that I have gone my own way instead of your way.
- regret for what I have done that may have hurt myself or others, and
- any hurt that I am experiencing as a consequence of someone’s actions for what has been done to me.
- my habit of beating myself up over stuff. Thank you that you do not want or expect me to live under condemnation, a slave of shame or guilt. That is precisely what you gave your life for.
- grudges I am holding against others: resentment and/or unforgiveness
- things dragging me down that I’m not consciously aware of: You know even more than I do what those things might be.
Thank you for my life
- where I am in time and space,
- my unique gifts and talents, my incredible value, and belonging to you and the family of God
- the privilege of joining with You to love those around me, and that you use me just as I am, not “perfect” by my own false standards.
Thank You for You
- You being with me and within me, and never leaving me.
- That You are committed to me: You have my back.
- that you are Truth, and You have freed me.
Thank you for the freedom
- of your forgiveness
- from hanging on to hurt, condemnation, and the expectations of others.
- From fear as I leave my worries with you.
Thank you that every day is a new day that I can embrace with anticipation.
Help me to continue moving forward in the direction You’ve already led me.
- According to the plans carefully—and prayerfully– formulated.
- Utilizing the habit(s) you have led me to establish
- keeping the commitments you have asked me to keep.
Thank you that you fill in the blanks of my imperfect efforts with your perfect sufficiency.
And as I go, thank you that you will show me what changes you might want to make in those plans, habits and commitments.
Thank you for the constants in my day: your love, your presence, your commitment to provide and protect and lead me, your working in this world.
Thank You for the unexpected:
- the gifts You give me throughout the day: a beautiful sky, a smile, a connection, a new friend.
- the surprising ways You work sometimes. ways I don’t anticipate or understand.
- opportunities to love and bless those around me.
- unique ways You communicate with me through your still small voice, your word, circumstances, your creation, and other people
Praying GRACE—it’s a great way to live!
PS: I am really excited about this GRACE model! I am finding all kinds of applications for it. Expect to hear more about Living Grace in the near future! Below is a tool that can be printed on a 4×6 card so you can try Praying Grace, filling in your own blanks. (You can also find this on our Pinterest page)
Take a moment and share with us: How are you living grace in your day?